All clothing boutiques have their own edge or style and the key to finding the best clothes means choosing one that matches the shopper’s personality. Department stores have a generic approach to the clothing they stock. Their goal is to offer as large a variety as possible to entice many different buyers. Boutiques aim to appeal to a smaller, but more loyal clientele. The benefit of boutique shopping is that people do not have to settle with acceptable clothing that just meets their needs. They are able to find pieces that define and expose their style to the world. Here are some of the niches boutiques fill.
- Meeting the needs of people that want high-end clothing without trendy graphics or styles. These can be for babies, children or adults and will generally focus on pleasing shoppers that want classic clothing styles and not edgy gear.
- Targeting a specific age range. Some will sell only for the preschool crowd, others stock their shelves with teens in mind and other boutiques will pick a generation. There are boutiques that cater to millennials, Generation X or Y or even baby boomers. Of course, everyone is welcome to purchase their products.
- Some of the most popular offer trendy, cutting-edge fashion for home, work and evening wear.
- Plus sized fashion boutiques also continue to gain in popularity. These shops generally have a full line of clothing options that includes lingerie, swimwear, and career clothing. They focus on offering fashionable styles tailored specifically for curvier women rather than just larger sizes of basic clothes.
- Some offer a mix of clothing and other items that might appeal to the same sensibilities. It could include fragrances, home furnishings or shoes and accessories.
- It is also common for some consignment shops to advertise themselves as boutiques as well, particularly if they carry only high-priced luxury goods.
The result of all of these boutiques is the potential for every woman to locate the shop that understands their needs, is stocked with items they want and makes it easy for them to find everything they need to complete their wardrobe in one place. Online boutiques have gained in popularity as they offer everything brick and mortar shops have but with better prices and a larger selection of sizes and colors. Anyone disappointed with department store variety needs to discover the world of boutique shopping.